Friday, November 21, 2008

24 Years!



"Are ya'll newlyweds or somethin'?" our rental car agent asked us our very first night in Florida. No I say, not realizing how affectionate I am being--or he is interpreting-- from across the counter.
"We are going on 24 years," Tim stated proudly.
He was visibly shocked two people would actually "make it that long."

On November 17, 2008, on bended knee, Tim asked me if I would marry him all over again....I held his face in my hands, and told him with tears, "Yes, I will." When he called to book our room at the Crooked River Lodge, they said, "Is it your anniversary already??" I think they have us pegged! We spent our anniversary in the best possible way--together. He had my black hills gold ring, that had lost one of it's two diamonds, redone for me. What a sneak!! He handed me the same box my wedding ring had been in and honestly, I had no idea what would await my eyes when I cracked it open. It looked so pretty---and it is good to have it on again.
He went to a local burger joint, and got take home, because I wasn't feeling the greatest. We ate together and watched a TV show about Alaska.


As I held his face, it was as if the whole 24 years blasted through my soul. I was reminded of so many joys we have beheld together. I was also reminded of the sorrows. The love of God has been the Cosmic Super Glue through amazing highs and bucket lows...

I am so thankful for my husband. God knew I would need him to love me, especially now. Every single night, he tells me how beautiful I am..how he loves me. I know I am very blessed to have a man like him.


So sweetheart, like I said 24 years ago,

"By the choice of God and the choice of my heart, I commit myself to you as your wife, your beloved, your bride.
All the days of my life, I will strive to attain a gentle and peaceful spirit, which is precious in the sight of God.
I promise to submit myself to you and your God given authority over our home.
Tim, I promise to respect you, to encourage you, to regard you above all others, to honor you, to strengthen you and to love you, with all my heart and soul.
I promise to accept you as you are and help you to become all God has meant you to be.
As Christ freely gives His love to me, I freely,
and gladly,
give my love to you."

You know what?? I haven't always kept my promises...I have blown it royal. Yet God, in His merciful, compassionate love for both of us, has kept HIS promises.

He has been faithful to us for 24 years and we are trusting Him for however many more He gives.
After all, the lease is "up" after 50 years!


He is faithful,
Bonnie

2 comments:

Binga said...

"When thru the woods and forest glades I wander and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees, when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur and hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze,
Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to Thee; how great Thou art, how great Thou art! Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to Thee; how great Thou art, how great Thou art!"

Couldn't help but remember this song which was sung at your wedding, when your Savior God joined the two of you as one.

This song was written by a Swedish pastor, Carl Boberg in 1866 after being caught in a sudden thunderstorm with violent lightning and thunder -- and then falling to his knees in awe and adoration of Almighty God, seeing the brilliant sunshine and the calm, sweet singing of the birds in the trees that followed the storm.

What you and Tim have is rare & wonderful.

Much love
Mom

Waitingfaithfully said...

First I have to say, "Awwwwwwe", since I just read the precious comment from your mama!

Next I have to say, "Happy belated 24th Anniversary" (should have said that first) and glory be to the "Cosmic Super Glue" that has held you together! Thank you Lord!

What a sweet thing for Tim to fix your ring, and surprise you!

Your vows are beautiful . . . as is the fact that God keeps His promises, even when we fail.

Blessings to you friend~

Tina