Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Sleep helps






I hope these are better on your eyeballs. I feel much better after 8 hours of sleep...
Mom and I with the crazy eyeglasses you only wear when it's your birthday, is one of my favorite photos. I love my Mom. Please pray for her---all this cancer stuff is wearing on her emotions. If you are a parent, try to imagine one of your children diagnosed with cancer...then another..you also lost your spouse to cancer...Pray she will have peace that only God can give. Pray she will experience the love of God through others(hint, hint--maybe through the postal service?) Pray for her mind to be renewed each day as she soaks up the Word of God..


Tow strap son...he got this heavy duty strap from our friends, Jay and Cindy for Christmas. His modeling skills make me laugh!!
For Christmas from Jay and Cindy this year, I had this huge box to open. I had NO idea. None.
I get into it more and discover a shiny, red box..
I'm thinking,"Wow, this looks like my old wagon--no--it can't be! Can it? IT IS MY OLD WAGON!!!!!" Choke back the tears Bonnie..........gulp..

Jay had spent many hours restoring my red wagon and it looks brand new--it was an old rust bucket that somehow stayed behind when we moved up here. He got the bug to fix it up and I am still impressed with how it turned out! It is beautiful..Thanks Jay and Cindy..you guys are awesome!!!!!!!!!!

My brother and I spent hours in, around and under that wagon! I have a pic of he and I in it, I remember having it full of water and using it like a pool, I remember having it full of rocks that needed to go somewhere-- I need to have one of my computer savvy people scan it so I can post it. You will choke back the tears when you see it. (if you are an emotional type like me)

The karate pictures are to rejoice over! Someone a while back acted like our karate stuff was no big deal. Like it is a sport for guys or for people who want to hurt other people. HA!
Let me tell you, it is tough! Not only are there physical challenges, there are many, many times you need to use your mental capacities. We began in November of 2006. I was diagnosed in May of 2007 with breast cancer. I can remember meeting that summer and feeling like I was going to puke my guts out, but I stuck with it. I can remember my instructor saying he "liked having a bald person in his class--it made it seem more authentic!" I remember going to class and being thankful I had something to look forward to, besides another chemo treatment and feeling absolutely awful.
I am more flexible. Stretching is now my friend. I can touch my toes EASILY and am working diligently on the splits. I can do 100 sit ups and wall squats for 2 minutes. I am working so hard on guy push ups--I did 62 in class about 2 months ago..I am stronger than I was when I began in November of 06.

Our black belt testing is not just about breaking 1 inch boards. It is divided into community service, physical fitness, sit ups, push ups, wall squats, jumping jacks etc (I have to be able to run 2 miles under 20 minutes...oh please pray about that one!), forms , techniques(over 80 of them I have to be able to perform) and a skit where we act out a real life scenario using our karate techniques. AND we have to be able to instruct a class all on our own!

They told me the muscles on my chest wall would resemble something like beef jerky, after radiation. They told me they would be tighter than tight and I would have to work REAL HARD to get back the flexibility. They told me it would take up to two years for the muscles to "recover." Every time I do a push up, I thank God I can. God's grace has allowed me to be able to do this and I am so grateful. My dream? To receive my black belt in August!

Tang Soo Do has given me a place to go to beat the snot out of cancer! It has given me goals that I can tangibly achieve when I have had so much taken away...Yes, I fight on my knees, before God's throne, but I can also punch that invisible cancer enemy as I go through this process..I have played basketball, softball and ran. Physically, running the Old Kent River Run was probably the hardest athletic event I have ever accomplished. Testing for my last belt was physical and mental--a great combo. I loved it.

Ok I'm finished. Can you tell it really bothered me when I heard that? Now you more about Tang Soo Do and you are no longer in the dark. I am not bragging on me either..God has given me strength upon strength to be able to do this. When we start our classes, we do what they call "Mook Young" where you are on your knees and you bow your head. I get on my face every single time. I am begging God for strength and thanking Him for His provision. I tell Him I am so grateful to be able to kick, punch and learn new things!! Thank You Lord!

LAST PHOTO:
My brother, my mom and me. Christmas. It was a blessing to have them here for the day.
I love them both so very much!



"Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Everlasting God, the LORD,
the Creator of the ends of the earth,
does not grow weary or tired.
His understanding is inscrutable.
He gives strength to the weary, and to him who lacks might, He increases power.
Though youths grow weary and tired and vigorous young men stumble badly,
yet those who wait for
the LORD. will gain new strength; they will mount up with wings like eagles,
they will run and not get tired,
they will walk and not become weary."
Isaiah 41: 28-31


God gives me what I need for each day. I am grateful.
Go to Him people.
He has all you need.

He is faithful,
Bonnie

1 comment:

Waitingfaithfully said...

Bonnie,

This post ROCKS. I love the pictures and the stories, and your little red wagon, and you and your beautiful mom with Steve . . . and your teaching on Tang Soo Do, and the NEW BELTS! I stand amazed at your abilities (and God's), and I am soooooo seriously impressed! Way to go! WOW!

Thank you so much for sharing!

Blessings to you!

Tina