Thursday, March 19, 2009

News

There have been numerous occasions in my life where I have known the presence and power of God, sustaining me, holding me up and bringing me comfort. These last two days have been that and more, as we traveled to Detroit, honed our city driving skills(they don't drive down there, they race!) and tromped down unfamiliar hospital halls.
We arrived at the gigantic hospital at 6 am Wednesday. We left the hospital at 6:45 pm. Ugh.
My Mom, my sister in law and her friend, all stood around the bed right before Steve's surgery.
The surgeon spoke to all of us and answered our questions. He possesses compassion, a trait you would think all doctors would model--he did not speak in dictionary medical- ease either, you could understand his lingo. I instantly liked this man.
While he was talking, he casually mentioned that the CT scan revealed spots, then he called them nodules, on Steve's lungs. He said since they were new, that chemo would "mop" them right up.. Oh Jesus...now it's invaded my brother's lungs??
I think we all held our breath.
That moment, I knew God was standing there--holding me together. My very present help did not abandon me.
I remember where everyone was standing and the look on my brother's face..

I am not discouraged though.

I am burdened by the pain and suffering I know my brother will have to endure.
Cancer affects the ENTIRE family. Knowing my nephews are hurting, trying to sort
this all out in their own individual ways, causes a deep, deep ache in my soul.
Seeing the agony written on my Mom's face as she absorbs the news and observing a tender moment between a husband and wife- reeling from the Dr.'s words--all I can do is cry.

I read this morning from the Psalms. I find lavish encouragement there.
I cried all over the pages..Before we traveled our separate roads, I read to my dear brother the words of Psalm 34:
"The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves those who are contrite in spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers them out of them all."


I need to go to bed..
I know you will all pray. Thank you so much.

He is faithful,
Bonnie

P.S.
The surgery itself went well. The Dr was confident he got all the tumor. He zapped it with liquid nitrogen, in 6 different places! The tumor was 3 x 3x 6cm in size. Knowing that is gone is a relief. He sees a new oncologist in Carson City, his hometown this next Tuesday. They will work out a protocol to attack the cancer in his lungs. He will be able to receive chemo right there at Carson City's hospital.

2 comments:

Waitingfaithfully said...

Dear one,

Please know that I am praying and praying, and praying . . . for Steve's healing, for Amy's strength, for their precious boys, for your mom, for you and Tim and your babes.

Oh Father God please hold this entire family tightly in Your loving embrace. Lord give peace to their aching hearts. Comfort them Lord, day and night . . . step by step.

Love you friend, and continuing to pray.

Tina

Kristine said...

May the peace of God which passes all understanding, guard your hearts and minds through our Lord Jesus!!

I'm not finding the words to say, but His words are best anyways!

Love and prayers,
Kristine