Monday, March 21, 2011

One Body

Romans 12:5 says: "so we who are many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another."

One body. In Christ. Members one of another. Humbling stuff. Farther down the passage, Paul tells us "Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor.."

I saw that in action yesterday. Our church body eats together once a month. I love being able to gaze around the room and see members of our body together, eating, laughing, crying, praying, listening and enjoying one another.

It's now just how we act when we are eating a meal together, it's how we behave in the "real" world. When we mess up. When we have hard questions. When people have real tangible needs. I have witnessed love--God's love, poured out in the form of grace and mercy. We do not deserve one another. We do not deserve God's love but in GRACE we give and give to one another.

I could tell story upon story of hurt and betrayal in the church body. I have been the hurter and the betrayer. Me. If you are honest before God, I believe you could say the same thing. None of us are perfect. I think we have too many of those juicy gossipy stories circulating, strangling the life and ruining the testimony of God's love in our lives.

That is why I am writing this blog this morning. God is alive and well in the people of His church.(my church)(and your too I bet)
He is ministering to others through ladels of chili, salad served with a joke and a huge smile, undisclosed giving to those in need, prayers, hugs and forgiveness. He is revealing truth in His Word in pre prescribed doses for each of us. He is accepting the broken hearted and loving the ones wrestling with addicitions. He is there, in our midst.

I love being able to raise my hands in worship..
When I close my eyes, I can smell the carpet at the altar as I kneel, giving my hurts and aches to Jesus..

We are truly members one of another at my church.
One body in Christ.

I am very grateful,
Bonnie




No comments: