Thursday, March 3, 2011

Too highly of myself

I admit I have a pride problem. I must tell you right off, that the Word of God has much to say about pride. God hates it. Pride tells God in declarative tones that I have it under control thank you very much God. I am better than so-n-so, and I would never struggle with sin like they seem to.. blahty, blahty, blah, blah, blah........



Look at this verse:

For through the grace given to me, I say to every man among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think as to have sound judgement, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith. Romans 12:3


Ha! Right in plain terms I am told not to think of myself more highly than I ought to.
What I learned this past week, in my life, is that pride also comes out as the Eyore attitude...Poor me, l'm a nobody, I never do anything right, blah, blah, blah..
Even when I am feeling sorry for myself, I'm down on myself and the whole world is against me, it is a form of pride.
Why?

The whole focus is ME, MYSELF and I.

I am not thinking about myself like God thinks about me. I am not thanking Him for all He's done for me. I am not remembering who I am in Christ.
I am throwing a pity party and all the invitations have been sent! Come one, come all!! Feel sorry for me!!!

What I've learned this week is that God wants me to think of myself soberly-not like a sourpuss soberly but to understand, through the lens of Scripture who I really am in Christ.

It makes all the difference in daily life when I understand that God has :
ADOPTED ME into His family Ephesians 1:5
BLESSED ME WITH EVERY BLESSING Ephesians 1:3
CHOSEN ME BEFORE THE FOUNDATION OF THE WORLD Ephesians 1:4
FORGIVEN ME Ephesians 1:7
REDEEMED ME Ephesians 1:7


When I think of myself in those terms, pride disappears and gratefulness takes hold.

Thank You Lord for the power of Your Word. Thank You for all you have done for me.

You are faithful,
Bonnie

No comments: