Sunday, October 14, 2012

Stones

My kidney stone is a pain.  4mm of intrusion brings exponential, monumental waves of pain. At this moment however, I am pain free.  For this I am very, truly grateful. Tomorrow I go to get an xray to see if it has moved..the plan is if it has, to continue to let it do it's downward trend.  Otherwise, out it comes.  Either it gets blasted with super sonic, (super expensive) sound waves, or it gets retrieved via a scope with a little grabber nabber on the end.



The last week,  I have been talking about this tiny but powerful stone, I have been musing about stones in the Bible.
I'm not trying to draw any parallels or come up with any in depth applications but here are some Scripture texts about stones:

God wrote the 10 commandments on stone.. Exodus 34:1

One smooth stone, picked by a shepherd boy David, slew Goliath.  I Samuel 17: 49,50

"He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone at her"..John 8:7

"Joseph of Ariamathea, took down the body of Jesus, wrapped him in linen and laid him in 
a tomb and rolled a stone against the entrance."                       Mark 15:46

"And they found the stone rolled away from the tomb.".......Luke 24:2

"And looking up, they saw that the stone had been rolled away, although it was extremely large."
                                                                                                Mark 16:4

And my all time personal favorite from Matthew 28:2
"And behold, a severe earthquake had occurred, for an angel of the Lord descended from heaven
and came and rolled away the stone and sat upon it."

One of the principle I follow in prayer is to remind God of all He has done, and can do.  I know God does not need reminding because He's God--it's probably more of a reminder for ME.
This principle has played out in my life time and time again..
I remember when I was vomiting after one of my chemo sessions..I had already been medicated to the max.  Could take nothing more.  Another trip to ER was looming large..
Mom sat next to my bed and prayed something like this: "Lord, if you can calm a storm with one word, could You please calm my daughter's stomach? "
The hurling subsided, within minutes if I remember correctly.  My faith grew.

I am trusting Him now, just like I trusted Him then.  I like how Scripture reminds me of His strength, grace and stone rolling power!!

I need that tonight..

You are faithful,
Bonnie


No comments: