Thursday, June 20, 2013

Graduation, Busted Ribs

My 17 year old has graduated high school.  Home high school.
Heart of mine spent most of the day in my throat, stifling a sob..
I say as a parent to younger moms, "time goes so fast." not because
I am a know it all, but because I see it happening and I wish I would
have pondered those moments more?

Proud to finish her scrapbook I am.
Memories of a tiny, "popcorn fart" sized girl,
wearing a too big hat, standing in the door.
Memories I had forgotten I had..

I saw family members in those photos--
and it made me smile.  God is so good
to give me--
to hand us, those moments.

One was of Steve, peeking around a chair,
playing peek a boo with her.
Oh she must've only been 2?
Funniest look on her face--

I noticed her slide show at
church--hardly any solo photos.
Family snuggled around--,
her sisters and brother,
daddy
aunts and uncles,
grammas..

A middle child surrounded by her family..
and I realize that is not a bad thing.

Rachel, you are one blessed girl, do you know this?
Dad and I are so proud of you honey.

Like I said at your graduation party;
there are three things that last forever,
God, His Word, and people.
Invest in those things and you will
truly succeed.


Two weeks later; me and hubby preparing
for a trip to Maine.  A razor making seminar
with my sweetheart as the lecturer, demonstrator,
head honcho guy. People paid money to go
learn how to make a straight razor from him!

Motorcycle rush trip down the dirt road.
Sand too deep.  Lost control.  Bike hit berm
and stopped.
My husband flew--knocked off the windshield,
hit the ground with such ferocity,
he broke 4 ribs..

No trip to Maine.
No exploring for me..
No refreshing for me..
No learning how to make razors for guys.
No, no, no..

Of course I'm thankful he is not hurt worse.
No puncture to his lungs..
thank You God.
No other broken bones..
thank You God.
No damage to his motorcycle, really.
Yes, I will thank You God,  for this.

God's family shows up in ER.
Later they bring food.
They pray.
My attitude crashes..
I tell God I need encouragement..
please God?

He does..this week has been sweetly tender.  Anniversary of my brother's death was softened
by an eagle sighting today..time with mom.

Once again, whether I'm facing cancer treatments, fear, my brother's death or a husband
sitting in moderate shock after a crash and burn--

I have to decide if I'm going to trust or not.
If I'm going to believe God is Who He says He is
and that He can
do what He says He can do.

The book of James says this:

Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, and spend a year there,
and engage in business and make a profit.
Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow.
You are just a vapor, that appears for a little while and then vanishes away.
Instead you ought to say, "If the Lord wills, we will live and also do this or that.

This does not say planning is bad.
It says that we are vapor-ish and our plans can be knocked on their kiesters.
It says we are to live with an understanding that when we do, it is the Lord Who wills it.

Frailty.


My sweetheart just walked by me.
(insert smile here)
He wobbles kind of.
Instead of sitting in his blue recliner, zoning on pain killers, watching
tiger swallowtail butterflies and sphinx moths out the window,
he is moving more..

Thank You God.

Thank You for graduation parties, for my family, for my husband's slow but sure progress.
I love You Lord,

You are faithful,
Bonnie

No comments: