Sunday, February 15, 2015

Valentines, pancakes and the end of my seven journey

John 13:34-35 states:" A new commandment I have given to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this, all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love, one for another."

I'm not the poster child/adult for these verses all the time..I fail. I hurt others. I mess up. But the truth is, by the grace of God and in the power of God, I try. Loving another is how the world sees we are disciples of Jesus.  The word that grabs my heart is "commandment." Jesus called loving each other a commandment. Not a luxury item to be handed out to those we deem "worthy"--we are simply commanded to love. 

Why don't I love as Jesus told me to?

My reasons are as varied as snowflakes-/

They do not deserve it.

He/she hurt me.

I do not feel like it today. Perhaps tomorrow I will extend love?

The problem with those reasons, is they are all.  about.   Me.

God loved me when I was unlovely, a sinner, and hell bound. He offered me love and I did not deserve it. Period. 

What grants me, a forgiven child of the Most High, the right to withhold love from another for any reason?

Me. Myself. I.

Jesus wants me to love others because it is about Him--exemplifying His life and His ways, not mine. And this especially goes for the ones I declare unworthy of love. 

The reality is, we were all unworthy. Read Ephesians 2:1-3.

God, through Jesus Christ, makes us worthy, righteous and His beloved ones.
If I am gratefully aware of these impressive truths, I will want give to others what Jesus gives to me. 

Anything less is a selfish version of my definition of what I want love to look like.


These are some of the truths God has been implanting on my heart lately. 

He is so patient with me. I learn slowly, but I am willing. And He will complete what He began in me. See Philippians 1:6.

Thank You Lord for Your ultimate expression of Love through Your Son Jesus.

Help me be obedient to Your command, to love one another, not because it benefits me--but because You told me to and I love You. 

No comments: