Tuesday, June 29, 2010

All your heart

I think I have read this verse a thousand times. Literally. Since I have began my walk with Jesus Christ, over 30 years ago, it has been the verse I've chosen for cards I send to others, a verse I have used to comfort my own self and one I've shared with my children over and over.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean to your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight.
Proverbs 3:5,6

Phrases I've focused on are "in all your ways acknowledge Him" and "do not lean to your own understanding."
While I was praying this morning, the words, "with all your heart" kept coming into my mind. In this case heart refers to "the centre of your being" and it involves your heart and your mind.

The previous verses are "My son, do not forget my teaching, but let your heart keep my commands.."
And, "Do not let kindness and truth leave you, bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart."

For some reason, this put a new spin on this foundational verse for me. Trust God with my "center of my being"--but the how is earlier in the text---let my heart keep His commands
and writing God's commands, His Word, onto the tablet of my heart.

Simply stated for my mind anyway, keep God's commands--here are some examples----did you know He commands us to pray without ceasing? (Eph 6:18)
Did you know we are to not worry? (Phil 4:6)
Did you realize that part of God's will for us is to rejoice always, pray without ceasing(there it is again) and "in everything" give thanks? (I Thess. 5:16,17)
Did you know that we are to put away bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, slander and malice? It is not in the wardrobe of a believer--why do we "put it on" ? Why? (Eph 4:31)
Lastly, we are not to return evil for evil, or insult for insult. We are to not be overcome with evil, but overcome evil with good. (Rom 12:17,21)

What are you writing on your heart today? Scripture states "that out of the heart a man speaks."


Aside: today I met with my new Dr. I really like her. She is my new primary physician. I am experiencing some leg pains, quite troublesome at times and would appreciate your prayers. I see my oncologist next week for a 6 month checkup/labs. My primary Doc is waiting till my oncologist sees me and hears about the symptoms--so I guess next week we may know something more.

Until then, I choose to trust God with all my heart..

You are faithful Lord,
Bonnie

P.S. Today Hannah got the okie dokie to be able to bend her knee while she walks!! No more peg leg Hannah! ! We got slurpees to celebrate!!

No comments: