Thursday, June 24, 2010

Perfect Love Casts Out Fear

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear." I John4:18

I just received a new devotional book entitled, "Fear Not Tomorrow, God is Already There." by Ruth Graham, not Ruth Graham Bell(Billy's wife) but Billy's daughter, Ruth. I actually got to hear her speak at Winsome Women the year I was having chemo. I went with Mom, bald head covered by scarves...had so many women speak to me and tell me they once had "haircuts like that."

Sigh...

Anyhoo, she write these short, power packed entries and the above verse, was from today's.

Fear is the antithesis of perfect love. She implies in her writing, that perfect love and fear cannot coexist (in our hearts)--I'm still chewing on that one because I can be afraid and have that fear cause me to turn to God --but the two are still not sharing a spot with me on the couch. Together. They fight. Fear paralyzes me. Fear lies and lies and lies to my heart. God's perfect love only desires the very best for me.

So here is what she says:
"Love on earth is imperfect. We know that well. Only God's love is perfect. His love has the power to cast out fear. As we entertain thoughts of His character, His unconditional love, His good plans for us, His grace towards us, and His mercy, fear has to leave, for there is no room for it to stand in the face of such all-encompassing, perfect love."

To me, then, the way to know God's perfect love, is to entertain thoughts about Him and the way He loves.
One of the many ways I can accomplish this is by thinking on His Word. Here is an example.

" I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore I have drawn you with lovingkindness." Jeremiah 31:3

God's love towards me (and you) is one of perfection. He does not love for what He can get. He does not love based on my performance or my credit rating or my ACT scores.

Think on that this night, when you are weary, scared or frightened for someone or of something.
Remember His unconditional, perfect love for you.


Quickie note of prayer
http://www.alarryross.com/PressRelease.aspx?ID=555
Joni Eareckson Tada has been diagnosed with breast cancer.. go to this link to find out more.
For those of you who do not know her, she dove head first into a river at the age of 17 and was paralyzed from the neck down. Amazing, real, genuine, God loving Christian woman, who is married to Ken Tada. She has been in her wheelchair for 40 years and is now looking at cancer..
I have always wanted to own one of her paintings; yes, she learned how to draw with a pencil held in her mouth! After her accident!! Incredible talent! She doesn't do it anymore but oh my--such beauty!

You are faithful God,
Bonnie

No comments: