Thursday, June 10, 2010

Life hurts

Recent reading in one of my favorite devotionals..if you want to know, you gotta ask.


"Rest in Me, My child. Give your mind a break from planning and trying to anticipate what will happen. Pray continually, asking My Spirit to take charge of the details of this day. Remember that you are on a journey with Me. When you try to peer into the future and plan for every possibility; you ignore your constant Companion who sustains you moment by moment. As you gaze anxiously into the distance, you don't even feel the strong grip of My hand holding yours! How foolish you are, My child!

Remembrance of Me is a daily discipline. Never lose sight of My Presence with you. This will keep you resting in Me all day, every day."



Is that incredible?? Does that describe you? It sure does me these days.
The Scripture references are I Thessalonians 5:17 which simply says,
"pray continually,"
and Psalm 62:5
"Find rest O my soul, in God alone;
my hope comes from Him."

How does this reading hit home with me? The part about "trying to anticipate what will happen" showed up on my current radar as a big cold front.
I need to know what's ahead. And instead of holding onto God's hand, I anxiously fret and stew. I have discovered I cannot change other people. I cannot fix situations that threaten to cripple my soul with bitterness . God commands me to forgive. He tells me to. (Really, it's in the Bible) As a woman, I like the mental image of holding onto God's hand. I need to hold onto God's hand!!! I need to pray continually, and rest in God. Sounds easy but the very act of doing it, is difficult. But with time and practice and effort, I can discipline my spirit and my mind to do it. I like how the Psalmist declares to find "rest in God alone." Not from a situation getting better? Nope. Not from knowing what lies ahead for my health? Nope. In God alone I am to rest.

Oh God, let me rest in You alone today. Not in outcomes, not in checkbook balances, not in health, nor in stuff, but in You.

Thank You for Your Word that is living and active,
able to pierce down into the joints and marrow of my life
and to judge the thoughts and intents of my heart.


You are faithful,
Bonnie

No comments: