Wednesday, August 4, 2010

In all things

I Thessalonians 5:18 tells me "in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

I believe living this way opens the door to seeing God at work in my life. I do not have to be thankful FOR horrible things, but in them, through them, during them, I am to have an attitude of thankfulness.

I heard a speaker the other day, say this: We are good at hearing a sermon, good at memorizing a Bible verse, but when it comes right down to doing it--actually acting upon what we heard or memorized, we do not. This is the biggest problem with the church today. I wholeheartedly agreed..

..last night, all I could do was manage a whisper of the name of Jesus as I lay in bed, tossing and turning..poor Tim..
Before we left this morning, we both prayed and I told my beloved husband, no matter what we hear, we will praise God, we will thank Him, for who He is, for what He's done and for what He is going to do.
There is nothing like waiting in the same chair you heard the "chances" of your survival in 5 and 10 year increments..I spoke Psalm 91 aloud. It helped quiet my heart and give me strength.
Oh Jesus help me... please...

"Your CAT scan was all clear," she said. I melted into my chair...thank You Lord...
"But your bone scan showed (AHHHHHHHH!!) that you have even more arthritis in your knee than last time and it's in your ankles and your feet."
I thanked God audibly that time..she smiled.

She went on to tell me, to tell Tim and I, that I have a spot on the bone scan, above my left eye that sounds to her, from the report, like a sinus infection. She wasn't at all worried about it, but ordered xrays to check it out..I find out later this week, but honestly, I am not concerned. I do feel like I may have some pressure building behind my cheek bones--I think it's from the lake swimming I've done in the past few weeks--I do remember getting some water up into my sinuses.


And just like that, the angst, the concern, the anxiety, the fear, melted. God had not changed one iota, but my trust in Him had grown. I learned this time to obey means that exactly. Obedience is not a feeling or an anxious heart waxing and waning, but it is a deliberate, repeated choice to turn to God and trust Him in all things.

As I tucked in my daughters tonight I asked them this question, "So what did you learn about God today?"

Teresa said, "I learned that God answers prayers and that He is with us."

Hannah said, "I learned that God has overwhelmed us over the last 24 hours with Dad's unexpected check in the mail and your results being alright and I have had this song playing in my head all day long.."
It was Chris Tomlin's song, Our God is greater, our God is stronger, God You are higher than any other, God You are healer, awesome in power, our God...our God...

Rachel said after much giggling and snorting when she is crazy ," I learned that He is compassionate and merciful."

I have learned to be thankful in all things.. and to really do it, not just say it or read it or memorize it, but to live it.

The only way I can even type that is because of your prayers..I am not boasting in my abilities but the power of the saints of God ministering to this believer in Jesus Christ..

Like my little brother said, as he was beginning his journey, "prayer is a powerful thing."

Amen brother..

With a grateful heart,
Bonnie

No comments: